The Hudson Valley's newest brand, located at Benmarl Winery in Marlboro, Ulster County, was named "Winery of the Year" in the recent Hudson Valley Wine & Spirits Competition.
On the way to taking that title, Fjord also won "Best of Show," "Best White Wine," and "Best Overall Hudson Valley Wine," all for its 2015 Albarino.
Albarino is a variety of white wine grape grown primarily in Galicia in northwest Spain and Monção and Melgaço in northwest Portugal, where it is used to make varietal white wines. It is believed that the grape was brought to those regions in the 12th Century by Cluny Abbey monks from France's Burgundy region. While Albarino wine is produced in several places in California, I believe the Fjord grapes are the only Albarino plantings in the state.
Other "Best of" winners in the competition, sponsored by the Hudson Valley Wine & Grape Association during the Hudson Valley Wine & Food Festival:
• Brotherhood Winery "B" Sparkling RoséGo here and scroll down for all the medal results in the event, limited to wineries in the Hudson Valley AVA.
• Robibero Family Vineyards 2013 Cabernet Franc
• Clinton Vineyards 2015 Rosée
• Christopher Jacobs Winery Appleoosa
• Millbrook Vineyards & Winery Late Harvest Riesling
• Brotherhood Winery Rebel Reserve Cider
• Dennings Point Distillery Beacon Bourbon